Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c07/h03/mnt/178353/domains/unfitforpublication.org.au/html/plugins/system/gantry/gantry.php on line 406
1860, Albury Courthouse - Unfit For Publication
Text Size

 

The Sydney Morning Herald, Mon 13 Feb 1860 1

Albury courthouse, 1860, build by local builder, Thomas Allen, who used local grey granite for the Palladian-style facade. Photo: Peter de Waal
Albury courthouse, 1860, build by local builder, Thomas Allen,
who used local grey granite for the Palladian-style facade.
Photo: Peter de Waal

COUNTRY WORKS.
———•———

...
    A number of additional court-houses and gaols being required in consequence of the establishment of District Courts, instructions were a few weeks ago sent to the Colonial Architect to prepare plans of buildings suited to the requirements of the different places at which these courts are held great inconvenience having been experienced from the opening of the courts before proper provision for their operation had been made. These plans have been accordingly prepared and forwarded for approval to the office of Internal Communication; but no tenders for the erection of the buildings have yet been advertised for, and probably no further steps will be taken in the matter, until the estimated cost, £50,000, has been sanctioned by the Legislature. The proposed works include new gaols and court-houses at Mudgee, Orange, Wellington, Pambula, Braidwood, Eden, Tamworth, Armidale, Grafton, Yass, Gundagai, Wagga Wagga, Albury, Deniliquin; and also additional and improvements to existing buildings at Windsor, Campbelltown, Berrima, Newcastle, Muswellbrook, and Port Macquarie. The structures are to be of three classes, according to the size required, and to be built upon uniform plans, their cost varying from £2000 to £3000.

Albury courthouse interior. Photo ID: SRNSW 4481_a026 _000304.jpg
Albury courthouse interior.
Photo ID: SRNSW 4481_a026 _000304.jpg

    Besides these, several works required for the administration of justice in the ordinary tribunals in places where the increased population has necessitated the erection of more extensive apparaius [sic] are in progress. At West Maitland, Tumut, Kiama, and Albury, court-houses are in course of erection; the latter of these is approaching completion.

~~~~~

The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 12 May 1860 2 

COUNTRY WORKS.
———•———

THE ESTIMATES for 1860 having at length been passed, a large amount of business is provided for the several departments connected with the public works. Many of the works determined on are of urgent importance, and ought to have been proceeded with at the commencement of the year; being now sanctioned they will be at once put in hand, without waiting for the passing of the Appropriation Act, and during the next few weeks a number of tenders will be called for public works in various parts of the country.

Albury courthouse designed by Colonial Architect, Alexander Dawson, and completed in 1860. Photo: Peter de Waal
Albury courthouse designed by Colonial Architect,
Alexander Dawson, and completed in 1860.
Photo: Peter de Waal


    The chief works in progress under the Colonial Architect are those required for the administration of justice. Commodious court-houses are being erected at East Maitland, Armidale, Albury, Tumut, and Kiama. A police station at Newcastle is also in a forward state.

Albury courthouse. Photo ID: SRNSW 4481_a026_000311.jpg
Albury courthouse.
Photo ID: SRNSW 4481_a026_000311.jpg

 

  


1  The Sydney Morning Herald, Mon 13 Feb 1860, p. 4. Emphasis added.

2  The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 12 May 1860, p. 7. Emphasis added.