Below also see: Lithgow Courthouse, 1909
Evening News, Wed 31 Dec 1879 1
OPENING OF COURT-HOUSE, LITHGOW.
Lithgow, Tuesday.—The new court-house at Lithgow was formally opened to-day. The bench comprised Messrs Neale, PM, Messrs [sic] Andrew Brown, Thos Brown, John Brown, Edward Burns, and Richard Fryer, JP’s. Mr Newton, solicitor, briefly congratulated the justices and people of Lithgow upon having such a splendid building and costly furniture , and trusted the public convenience would be promoted. Mr Neale responded, acknowledging the professional courtesy always shown to the magistrates. The business then proceeded, several parties being brought up for various offences, mostly arising through over exuberance of spirits during the Christmas festivities, fines being nominal in consequence.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Australian Town and Country Journal, Sat 3 Jan 1880 2
COLONIAL AND INTERCOLONIAL
NEW SOUTH WALES.
The new court-house at Lithgow was formally opened on Tuesday. The bench comprised Messrs Neale, PM, Messrs Andrew Brown, Thos Brown, John Brown, Edward Burns, and Richard Fryer, JP’s. Mr Newton, solicitor, briefly congratulated the justices and people of Lithgow upon having such a splendid building and costly furniture, and trusted the public convenience would be promoted. Mr Neale responded, acknowledging the professional courtesy always shown to the magistrates.
Lithgow Courthouse, 1909
The Lithgow Mercury, Wed 17 Feb 1909 3
THE NEW COURTHOUSE.
The Council has a strong case in protesting against the plans for the new courthouse. Better and Larger accommodation is needed for the office of the Clerk of Petty Sessions, and in the police quarters. In the first plans satisfactory provision was made for enlarging the CPS’s office, especially in the direction of providing more accommodation for the public. When representations were made that the plans did not provide for additional police quarters, the department explained that it was intended to erect new police quarters and provide extra cells at a later date, and to have them in a building separate from the courthouse.. In revising the plans for the courthouse, owing to the tenders being too high, a reduction was effected in cutting out of the plans all the proposed extra accommodation in the lands office—really the most essential requirement. The Mayor, Ald Ireland, communicated with Mr Dooley, MLA, last week, and requested him to see the authorities regarding the matter.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The Sydney Morning Herald, Tue 23 Feb 1909 4
BUILDINGS AND WORKS.
PROGRESS OF THE TRADE.
COURTHOUSE AT LITHGOW.
Tenders are now called for the erection of a courthouse at Lithgow. This work was tendered for some time ago; but as the prices sent in on that occasion exceeded the amount it was proposed to expend, no contract was let. The plans were then amended, and instead of pulling down the existing lands office and the magistrates and Judge’s rooms, in order that new ones might form part of the block of buildings to be erected, as was first intended, it has now been decided to allow the existing buildings to remain, and simply to place the courthouse and it various rooms and apartments in front of the present offices. The old buildings are to be throughly renovated, and alterations here and there to bring them into line with the new courthouse. The site of the courthouse is at the corner of Mort and Bridge streets. It will be a rather imposing building, constructed of brick, on concrete foundations, with a tile roof. The courtroom will be 46ft long by 28ft in with, and will contain all the necessary appearances, except that no provision has been made for the press, which is probably an oversight, but one that needs rectifying. The fittings throughout will be of cedar. The bench, dock, clerical and barristers’ tables, jury box, seats for jurors in waiting, and space for the public will all be fitted in the latest and most up-to-date manned, and throughout the court will be well lighted and ventilated, and will possess all the conveniences and comforts of a well-appointed courthouse. On each side of the court doors open into a wide corridor, and off these corridors will be placed the various rooms for the court officials. On one side will be located the Sheriff’s room, the Crown Prosecutor’s room, and a room for female witnesses; and on the opposite side of the court will be placed a large room for members of the legal profession and the waiting room for male witnesses. The Judge’s and magistrates’ suite of rooms are in the old building, right at the back of the bench in court, and door openings will be made in the back wall of the new court to give access to the Judge’s rooms, etc. the public, as usual, will be accommodated in the front portion of the court, and the approach to the main entrance of the building will be by a wide flight of stone steps, built on each side of the main porch.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Evening News, Tue 9 Mar 1909 5
NEW PUBLIC WORKS.
Tenders for the following new public works were opened by the Tender Board of the Public Works Department yesterday:—
Erection of courthouse, Lithgow, 10 tenders, Martin Long, £2183, lowest.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Evening News, Mon 22 Mar 1909 6
NEW PUBLIC WORKS.
TENDERS ACCEPTED THIS
NEW COURTHOUSE AT LITHGOW
Tenders were accepted this morning for the following public works:—
Erection of courthouse, Lithgow (36 weeks), M Long, Auburn, £2183.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The Maitland Weekly Mercury, Sat 24 April 1909 7
PUBLIC WORKS TENDERS.
Tenders have been accepted for the following public works:—
Erection and completion of a courthouse at Lithgow, GD Featherston, Camdenville, £2398.
1 Evening News, (Sydney, NSW), Wed 31 Dec 1879, p. 2.
2 Australian Town and Country Journal, Sat 3 Jan 1880, p. 10.
3 The Lithgow Mercury, Wed 17 Feb 1909, p. 2.
4 The Sydney Morning Herald, Tue 23 Feb 1909, p. 10.
5 Evening News, (Sydney, NSW), Tue 9 Mar 1909, p. 8.
6 Evening News, (Sydney, NSW), Mon 22 Mar 1909, p. 2.
7 The Maitland Weekly Mercury, Sat 24 April 1909, p. 10.