Australian Town and Country Journal, Sat 26 Feb 1881 1
COUNTRY AND MINING NEWS.
(FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDENTS.)
THE MARCH OF PROGRESS.—Our township, which can boast of two churches, public school, Commercial Bank, five stores, one baker, two butchers, one shoemaker, one chemist, one saddler, two blacksmiths, one wheelwright, one flourmill, and three hotels, with forage stores attached, will shortly have the privilege of police protection. One of the troopers from Toogong is to be stationed her, but will still require to go to that township for any court business. However, and agitation is on foot to get a courthouse here, and a most influential meeting was held on Wednesday night for the purpose of petitioning Government to grant one. The assembly took place in the School of Arts, which was made available through the courtesy of the contractors, and was most enthusiastic, and well attended. S Landaner, Esq, was voted to the chair, and stated that several petitions had been forwarded to the Government, but had always failed through private influence being used against them. He trusted this one would meet a better fate. Mr M Lannan, president of the Cudal Free Selectors’ Association, moved, and Mr WH Couch, Auburn Vale, seconded the first resolution—“That the vast resources of the district, and rapidly increasing importance of Cudal, render the erection of a courthouse and a court of petty sessions absolutely necessary. Carried unanimously. Mr CR Barry, manager of the Commercial Bank, Cudal, in a thoroughly practical and lengthy speech moved, and Mr WJ Hadley seconded, that “The following petition be presented too the Minister for Justice through the member for the district, Dr Ross, praying that a sum of money be placed on this year’s supplementary estimates, for the purpose proposed in the foregoing resolution,” Carried, Mr Charles Schramme, Boree, proposed, and Mr Isaac Wren, Barrajin, seconded, “That the following gentlemen form a committee for the purpose of carrying out the foregoing resolutions.” Carried unanimously. Mr Wm Shields proposed a cordial vote of thanks to Messrs Barry and Grimlay for their untiring efforts in the movement. These gentlemen having suitably replied, and Mr Barry being voted to the second chair, on the motion of Mr M Lannan, seconded by Mr W Shields, a hearty vote of thanks was accorded to the chairman, and the meeting dispersed, after a large number had affixed their signatures to the petition. The meeting was most orderly and unanimous, and several apologies were made on behalf of numerous influential residents who were unable to attend from business engagements, but whose sympathies were entirely with the object of the meeting. The committee contains the names of six MsLA, several JsP, and all “the men of weight” in the district.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 27 Feb 1884 2
NEWS OF THE DAY.
TENDERS were opened at the Department of Public Works yesterday for several important contracts.
Six tenders were received for the erection of a courthouse at Cudal, the lowest being that of J Atkinson.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 8 Mar 1884 3
NEWS OF THE DAY.
the following tenders have been accepted by the Minister for Works:—
For the erection of a court-house and lockup at Cudal, the tender of Mr Thomas Atkinson;
1 Australian Town and Country Journal, Sat 26 Feb 1881, p. 422. Emphasis added.
2 The Sydney Morning Herald, Wed 27 Feb 1884, p. 9.
3 The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 8 Mar 1884, p. 11.