The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 21 May 1870 1
(FROM OUR CORRESPONDENT.)
CONCERT.—A numerously and fashionably attended concert was given at the School of Arts in this town, on Monday evening last. The performers were local amateurs forming the Parramatta Glee Club, who were assisted by Mr EH Cobley, organist to the King’‘s School. The object of the entertainment was the augmentation of the fund for liquidating the debt remaining upon St John’s School, and that object has been well attained indeed, for the proceeds must be something more than ordinarily substantial, as the hall was full to the doors, and the majority of those present occupied reserved seats. The amateurs, without exception, acquitted themselves admirably, the various soli, choruses, and glees being rendered in a very finished manner. Encores were quite the order of the evening, and protracted the length of the performance to a somewhat unusual hour; but, lengthy though it was, no one appeared to deem that a fault. Mr Cobley’s solo on the harp was a musical treat of no common kind, and was loudly re-demanded. A subsequent sole on the piano by the same performer elicited a large amount of applause. Altogether it is to be hoped that the Parramatta Glee Club, having thus proved the sterling quality of their matériel, will afford this music-loving community further opportunities of gratifying its taste.
WESLEYAN MISSIONS.—The anniversary services in connection with the Parramatta branch of the Australian Wesleyan Missionary Society were held in the Wesleyan Church, Macquarie-street, on Sunday last, and on the following evening there was a public meeting, at which Mr James Byrnes, MLA, presided. After the proceedings had been opened by prayer, the meeting was addressed by the Revs S Wilkinson, S Rabone, JH Fletcher, William Fletcher, James Phillips, R Mansfield; by Messrs J Neale, J Booth, and G Hunt, and also by a native teacher named Matthias, who spoke in his mother tongue, and was interpreted by the Rev W Fletcher. The annual report of the parent society was read and several interesting facts were made known to the audience, who appeared much interested from first to last.
TEA MEETING.—On Tuesday evening a tea meeting was held at the School of Arts, in aid of the Building Fund of the Primitive Methodist Chapel decided to be erected by that body in Parramatta, and plans for which are now ready. The tea, which was a very well managed affair, was enjoyed by a large number,—members of the church and friends. It was succeeded by a public meeting, at which addresses were delivered by the Revs JH Dash, WA Wilson, and JA Foggon.
POLICE COURT.—A case was heard this week at the Parramatta Police Court, in which an old man named Matthew Keogh, alias Matthews, was charged with having assaulted a boy named James Smith, aged five years, with intent to commit a felony. The evidence adduced, and which is of course unfit for publication was sufficient to cause the Bench to commit the prisoner who will take his trial at the next Quarter Sessions in this town.
1 The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 21 May 1870, p. 5. Emphasis added.